Complex coronary cases
PCI of CTO of Anomalous RCA Originating from Left Coronary Sinus – March 2014

76 year-old-woman with new onset CCS Class III angina, exertional dyspnea and positive ETT presented on March 3, 2014. A cardiac cath revealed native 3 vessel coronary artery disease (RCA, LAD, LCx; SYNTAX score of 17) and normal LV function. Patient had successful intervention of mid LAD and distal LCx using Promus Premier drug eluting stents. Now planned for PCI of chronic total occlusion of anomalous RCA originating from left coronary sinus.
Moderator: Sameer Mehta, MD

1:44:14

Q&A
Q
For an anomalous RCA, what would be your first choice of catheter?
A.

AL1 will be first choice but lot will depend on the exact RCA orifice origin.


Q
Please mention the catheters of choice for the anomalous RCA in positions A-D.
A.

Position A (above LCA ostium)- FL3, Position B (below LCA ostium)- FCL3.5, Position C (just Rt of midline)- VL 3.5, Position D (around the midline)- AL1 (this is most common anomaly).


Q
In which situations with anomalous coronary arteries, will you unequivocally send a patient for surgery?
A.

Only if SCD survivor or significant ischemia on stress MPI and RCA cannot be engaged for PCI.


Q
What is your favored support catheter presently?
A.

Guideliner by far.


Q
Do you have a particular strategy for selecting support catheter or the Guideliner?
A.

Guideliner as work horse device and some un-crossable cases Corsair.


Q
Always 6 F for a Guideliner?
A.

Yes in majority (>90%) 6Fr Guideliner and 7Fr in remaining 10%.


Q
What is your distribution of use among the newer DES available in your cath lab?
A.

Approximate DES distribution in our lab is as follows; 60% Xience Xpedition, 35% Promus Premier and 5% Resolute Integrity.


Q
Any situations where you would still use a BMS?
A.

Yes >5mm vessel (rare RCA or SVG) or in AMI setting where large residual thrombus burden or not sure of pts DAPT compliance. Rare case of semi-urgent non-cardiac surgery to be done in 1-2 mts, pt will also get BMS.


Q
Which DES do you prefer in the longest length?
A.

In my opinion all newer DES are comparable with similar efficacy and ST rates; we prefer 38mm long Xience Xpedition.


Q
And for the shortest diameter?
A.

Small Xience Xpedition leads the pack in our lab.


comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

suggestion
Suggestions
Unstable Complex LCx CTO Bifurcation Intervention – May 2020
Tags: | |
Views 382

Case and Plan: 50-year-old male on HD, extensive CAD presented with progressive CCS Class II angina and high risk SPECT MPI for multivessel ischemia as preop for renal transplantation. A Cardiac Cath on December 2, 2019 revealed 3 V CAD: 95% LCx bifurcation with CTO ISR of OM1 (Medina 1,1,1), FFR+ 60% mid LAD/D2 bifurcation […]


STEMI in the COVID Era – April 2020
Views 1584

Case and Plan: 43-year old male presented to ER late with anterior STEMI 40 hours after the symptom onset of chest pain, cough and low grade fever. A Cardiac Cath on March 23, 2020 revealed 1 V CAD: thrombotic occlusion of proximal LAD with LVEF = 20%. Patient underwent successful intervention of proximal LAD using […]


Ostial LAD CTO PCI via Retrograde Approach – March 2020
Tags: | |
Views 2470

  Case and Plan: 52-year-old male with COPD and OSA presented on January 31, 2020 with acute hypercarbic respiratory failure requiring intubation and ruled in with peak Troponin of 12 (Type 2 MI) and acute systolic heart failure NYHA Class IV. Patient was stabilized on medical therapy and extubated. A Cardiac Cath on February 3, […]


PCI of Complex LAD D1 Bifurcation with Mini-crush Technique
Tags: | |
Views 1567

Case and Plan: 84-year-old female presented with new onset CCS Class III angina with positive SPECT MPI for multivessel ischemia. A Cardiac Cath on January 28, 2020 revealed 3 V CAD: 90% proximal RCA, subtotal large proximal LAD/Diagonal bifurcation lesion, 80% small LCx-OM1, SYNTAX Score of 21 and LVEF of 55%. Patient had a successful […]